Thursday, January 8, 2009

Welcome!

Welcome to the only place on the internet where you'll find only positive reviews of movies.

I've seen so many movie reviewers that love to cut up film into little ribbons and then burn the ribbons when they're done. I feel that the critical side of movie criticism is well covered. What I hope to do here is approach movies with a positive outlook. As someone who loves spending an evening in a movie theater and being taken somewhere else for a few hours, I want to share my movie-watching experiences. Hopefully this will help someone out there feel the same lift that I feel walking out after the credits roll. Even if the movie was a dud.

Now, I know what you might be thinking--what's the point of reviewing movies if you're only going to say good things about them? Well, for one thing, I tend to avoid watching movies that my stinker-sense tells me to skip. Movies that have high suck potential are usually easy to spot from the trailer. Certain giveaways include lines like "From the director of (insert popular title here)" or "If you liked (popular movie), you'll love (upcoming feature)". If a movie can't stand on its own, it's usually not worth watching.

More importantly, though, I can still convey the quality of a movie without focusing on the negative. If the only thing I'm talking about is a movie's set decoration, for example, you can be pretty sure that movie doesn't have much else going for it. The important thing to me is to avoid being the snarky old grouch of a movie reviewer who turns his nose up at any film that isn't high art. Movies are for entertainment and having fun. So let's have some fun!

3 comments:

  1. My favorite is "From the Executive Producer of..." blah, blah, blah :-)

    Why do I care? I usually don't.

    I really enjoyed Frost/Nixon. It was a Ron Howard movie and quite good. If you get the chance, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo, you found it :D

    Yeah, I've been looking forward to seeing Frost/Nixon--there are a few I missed from the holidays, because there were so many good movies released at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete